How do I select the right agent for me?
- What are you trying to do?
- Your trying to sell your home so do you want an agent that has a lot of buyers or one that Lists a lot of homes?
- You want the latter. The more experience an agent has listing and marketing homes the better they become and thats good for you.
- Buyer’s agents, those that primarily represent buyers have a different skill set than agents who mostly represent sellers.
- Selling agents have more experience marketing homes than buyer’s agents do.
- Selling agents are more experienced with working from a seller’s perspective.
- What does experience mean to you and why you should seek it out?
- During every single sales transaction a realtor learns new skills, they learn what can go wrong, they learn more about the contracts.
- The average agent in this country completes 4 to 8 transactions, thats not enough to remember and learn from those experiences and that does not benefit you.
- If an agent learns more and more from every transaction, don’t you want an agent that has completed tons of list side transactions? I sure would.
- Experience may mean a few more initials behind their names or continuing education certificates. Why important? Means they are committed to the practice of real estate.
Ask yourself, if an average agent sells 4-8 homes a year, do I want an average agent to sell my home?
- How do I determine which agents do what type of work and what their experience level is?
- Request a copy of their sales data for past two years, they can print this off the Multiple Listing Service.
- It will show if they were a seller agent or a buyer agent for each completed transaction.
- Check to see how much information is online about the agent before you ask them to come talk with you
- Call the office manager and request the information
You need an agent that does a high volume of sales and more than 70% of their sales should be as a listing agent.
Regardless of what you may believe or have heard, all real estate agents are not created equally. This is your home we are talking about and experience matters. Character matters too. Do you know that real estate is one of the easiest industries to get licensed in? Do you know in many areas they don’t take fingerprints or do background checks? Agents are people involved in transactions with hundreds of thousands of dollars at stake and all they/we need to do is pass a simple test and be high school educated. That should scare you.
Before you worry about what your home is worth, when to sell it, how to prepare it, find an agent that can help you get it done the right way. Do the homework necessary. There are bad people in this business like any business. Agents that do 2 or 3 or 4 transactions give our business a bad name because they just don’t have the knowledge to do it right.